Saturday, April 30, 2011

If John Henry Were a Fish

*** Note from Jenny:  Yesterday Ammon saw his Grandma Peggy and told her about his new fish.  As we were driving away he asked, "Can I blog about my fish?"  I told him that we can, and I will help him with a post this weekend.  But in the mean time, I wanted to share this story which was written April 28, 2011***

Ammon acquired four new fish today.  When he came home from school I told him that there was a surprise for him.  I sent him in to find the fish tank.

"There's fish!"

"Yes," I agreed.

"Are they mine?" he asked, barely daring to breath.

"Yes, yours and Peter's," I answered.

He is like me - processes the pleasant but unexpected quietly and slowly.  But I watched and saw the thrilled amazement cross through his face.  He looked a little overwhelmed with joy.

"Can I go get my friends to show them?" he asked.

I sent him out the door, but he stopped and turned back.

"Wait!  How many fish are there?"

"Four."

His face was shining with genuine awe now.  This was beyond his wildest dreams.

***

Later he asked me if he could name his fish.  Of the four, one is particularly recognizable because it is larger then the others.

"I will name him John Henry," he said with determination.

"That sounds like a great name, Ammon, where did you get that idea?"

He explained the idea came from a book he read at school.

"Oh?" I asked, "What is it about?"

Trying not to sounds overly impatient with me Ammon carefully explained, "It's about John Henry."

"OK," I tried again, "but what does John Henry do in the book?"

"Well, some people say he was born with a hammer in his hand," he recited.  "It's a tall tale, Mom."

It sounded familiar so after I went to bed, I googled it.  John Henry is a legend based on an american steel driver who grew to be six feet tall and 200 pounds which, they say, was considered a giant in his day.  Which explains why, just as Ammon was going to sleep, he called me back to his room.

"I can't wait to tell Mrs. Capson tomorrow about my new pets.  I will tell her that I named the big one John Henry.  Because I think this is what John Henry would look like - if he were a fish."

1 comment:

  1. Ammon, I can't wait to meet your fish! Are you and Peter going to name the other fish too?

    ReplyDelete